It is important to make strong mechanical and electrical connections. Below is a breakdown of each wire, wire type and wire color that is needed to make your new keypad operational.
Surge Board (Data Communications)
- A – red wire of 18/2 OAS Shielded wire
- B – black wire of 18/2 OAS Shielded wire
- G – drain wire (silver unclad wire) of 18/2 OAS Shielded wire (only connected on the keypad Surge Board. Do NOT terminate the drain wire onto the UltraConverter or allow it to touch the drain wires from other keypads.
Earth Ground – this wire is to be run between the Surge Board and a grounding point near the keypad gooseneck. You may use a #12 solid ground wire between this terminal and a secure grounding point on the metal keypad housing, keypad stand or nearby grounding rod (preferred). NEVER OPERATE YOUR KEYPAD SYSTEM WITHOUT THE EARTH GROUND CONNECTED AND PROPERLY GROUNDED!
- 12V – red wire of 18/2 unshielded wire
- GND – black wire of 18/2 unshielded wire
NOTE: there is an auxiliary 12VDC terminal next to the power block that can be used to feed 12VDC power to a pinhole camera or other keypad. Please be sure to calculate voltage requirements before using this power block as voltage drop could negatively affect the operation of the keypad.
- NO – Normally Open – red wire of 18/2 unshielded wire
- NC – Normally Closed – red wire of 18/2 unshielded wire
- COM – black wire of 18/2 unshielded wire
NOTE: The choice to use Normally Open or Normally Closed will be based on the type of gate motor you have or type of access control device you are controlling.
- STN – red wire of 18/2 OAS shielded wire
- COM – black wire of 18/2 OAS shielded wire
- SPK – the two 18 gauge speaker wires will be pre-wired from QuikStor to the two SPK terminal locations. If you need to remove them for any reason they are interchangeable and you can place either wire on either terminal without negative consequence.